AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
jaconrad1

jaconrad1 is on a distinguished road
Default Sheet metal custom intake manifolds

I was wondering if anyone has had one of these built for their car? If so who was commissioned to do the work. Are you happy with the results?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jaconrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
carwhisperer

carwhisperer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaconrad1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has had one of these built for their car? If so who was commissioned to do the work. Are you happy with the results?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I think it's a great idea. I flipped the intake front to back for my VW swap project. But I think a simple sheet metal intake would be better than a T1 or T2 manifold with the variable length intake manifold system disabled. I think I would probably use an aluminum cylinder of sufficient diameter to intercept the intake runners from a stock manifold, make a plug for one end, and adapt the other end to accept the throttle body.

Would you consider getting a cheap spool gun Aluminum MIG welder and messing around with it yourself? I have been welding mild steel for 20 year but just started welding aluminum 2 years ago with this. I'm amazed at the results so far, but then again, I haven't tested anything I've welded yet that needs to be leak proof.

carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Swift
is building things

um.....

I created a high volume short runner using existing manifold that maintained the usaged of the low-end VISS flap for my turbo project yearssss ago.(also ran it NA for a while)

Dv8 created one of similiar design.

The only fully created one from scratch was Greekpower. What is odd is that the runner length in the end was probably the same length almost is the OEM. He wanted longer runners for more torque. He had a tapered main body which was smart.

In the end there is no point whatsoever for money spent unless you are doing some major work.

C35 H.O. build #2
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Swift
is building things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

In the end there is no point whatsoever for money spent unless you are doing some major work.

Here above

C35 H.O. build #2
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
carwhisperer

Can you describe what you did with your manifold or post a link or picture? When I had mine apart I considered several ways to simplify things but couldn't really figure out an elegant way to make any improvements. On a T2, at least, I don't think you can really eliminate the middle section. I looked at cutting into the top section and moving the throttle body up toward the top, but I didn't want to cut out all the passage ways. In the end, I just removed all the butterflies and cut out a couple of the hinge sections for them. After flipping it front to back I wouldn't be able to fit the diaphrams anyway, because of interference with the coolant passages, even though I had to rebuild the coolant crossover pipe and heater pipe system and thermostat housing.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
buzzard

buzzard is on a distinguished road

How much does the midrange suffer when the air flaps are removed? We use custom intakes on the race engines, but my experience shows that road car engines are always better with the flaps operational.
#1 in Honda C32A engines worldwide.

The innovators, not the imitators.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
carwhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
How much does the midrange suffer when the air flaps are removed? We use custom intakes on the race engines, but my experience shows that road car engines are always better with the flaps operational.
I don't know, but what chassis do you road race with a C32A? Is it a legend? NSX? This forum seems to almost be a ghost town. I realize I am a good 10 years late to the longitudinal C engine party, but I reached the conclusion that it was the best longitudinal drivetrain that I could fit intact in my 74 Super Beetle without hacking up the rear (Porsche swapped) suspension.

I plan to run about 5psi boost and hope to get to about 300 chp with a stock T2 long block. That would get me to right around 7lbs/chp, kinda close to Hellcat territory. Of course it's all just BS at this point, but I have made some progress.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
buzzard

Off road racing.No way, the C series party is just getting started.I thougt Swift or JConrad might know the answer.

C32A with aftermarket rods 8:1 comp single turbo about 12psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdue3MLYMoc

Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
carwhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Off road racing.No way, the C series party is just getting started.I thougt Swift or JConrad might know the answer.

C32A with aftermarket rods 8:1 comp single turbo about 12psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdue3MLYMoc
Awesome video. Looks like you are pretty competitive too. Do you use the Legend transaxle? 5 speed or 6 speed? How can I find out more about your build?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #10
buzzard

Thats not my build, just a guy who used a C32A in his off road car. Most guys here use the Albins AGB transaxle. My involment in that car was doing the egine management setup and tuning, and we dont use OEM Honda ecu.