AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Gallery > Legend / RL Galleries > Second Gen Legend Gallery -- 1991 - 1995

Old 05-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
jgoeke

jgoeke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I did not realize that the 1st. Gen TL has a longitudinal engine. I’m guessing the 2nd gen has a sideways engine?
Yes, this is my understanding. More here also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TL

I'm taking the heads off mine to see if there is anything to see before trying to pull the whole thing....
jgoeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

I have done both removing engine and trans from the top and dropping the front subframe with engine and transmission.

It is easier to drop the subframe as that is the reverse of how the vehicle was built. I would highly recommend building some sort of cradle for the cradle. SR5Guy and myself have built them using a pallet with wheel dollies bolted to the bottom. You can use 2x4's stacked to rest the tail shaft of the transmission onto it. Once removed you can then wheel it around or pick it up using an engine hoist.

Make sure you disconnect all the wire harnesses near the passenger side firewall as well as the power steering lines and all vacuum lines. Drain the coolant and remove the upper and lower radiator hoses as well as the rear heater hoses. Remove the CV axles from the transmission side, it's easier if you remove the lower ball joint from the lower control arm, you can then let the cv axle hang and secure it with some bungee cords to keep it from flopping down. It helps to mark vacuum lines and any wiring harnesses with masking tape and put an identifying letter or number on the tape so you know where each one goes.

Good luck.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Last edited by Chrispy; 05-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #13
jgoeke

Fantastic info! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I have done both removing engine and trans from the top and dropping the front subframe with engine and transmission.

It is easier to drop the subframe as that is the reverse of how the vehicle was built. I would highly recommend building some sort of cradle for the cradle. SR5Guy and myself have built them using a pallet with wheel dollies bolted to the bottom. You can use 2x4's stacked to rest the tail shaft of the transmission onto it. Once removed you can then wheel it around or pick it up using an engine hoist.

Make sure you disconnect all the wire harnesses near the passenger side firewall as well as the power steering lines and all vacuum lines. Drain the coolant and remove the upper and lower radiator hoses as well as the rear heater hoses. Remove the CV axles from the transmission side, it's easier if you remove the lower ball joint from the lower control arm, you can then let the cv axle hang and secure it with some bungee cords to keep it from flopping down. It helps to mark vacuum lines and any wiring harnesses with masking tape and put an identifying letter or number on the tape so you know where each one goes.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
jlstewart3

jlstewart3 is on a distinguished road

Would you suggest dropping it if you don't have a lift and only jack stands?
jlstewart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
jgoeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoeke View Post
Fantastic info! Thanks!
So after getting into this finally, i'm noticing a lot of plumbing that is in the way of dropping the entire subframe. Specifically all of the hydraulic and such lines for AC, Power-steering and such. Seems undo-able unless i want to disconnect all of that stuff. plus the entire front suspension needs to be disconnected for brake lines and such also.

i'm proceeding with removal of engine/trans from the top as a unit. Service manual shows steps for that also.

http://www.acuralegendwiki.org/index...d_Installation

Any thoughts? What am i missing?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #16
jgoeke

So i got the motor/transmission combo out once i removed the mid motor mounts...

Anyway onto why i pulled it in the first place. Motor would not turn over with breaker bar on crank. Once out and i separate the two by about 1/4 inch, it turns over just fine. seems to bind up as it mates up to the transmission. I separated the two and can see no issue or reason for this.

Once theory is the motor (which is a replacement by previous owner) is not quite the correct one for the transmission/car.

Any ideas are appreciated!