AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation RL (1996 - 2004)
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Windshield wiper runaway repair

I just made this DIY simple repair on my runaway slapping and flopping wiper problems. It costs hundreds less than buying the complete wiper transmission assembly and even more if you avoid the dealer.
This will be virtually the same for the 2nd generation Legend too.

Here are the parts you will need. I also recommend buying all the new cowl clips since most may break when you remove them.

#013 76540-SP0-A01 ROD UNIT A $16.97
#014 76550-SP0-A01 ROD UNIT B $23.01

#026 91508-SM4-003 CLIP, COWL TOP Need 7 $2.12
#024 91501-SL4-003 CLIP, FR. COWL Need 8 $1.86

1. First you need to remove the two nuts holding the wiper arms on. Then lift off both wiper arms off of the transmission assembly

2. Remove with a small regular screw driver all of the clips holding on the plastic cowl. There are 8 small and 7 larger clips.

3. Next you must remove this center bracket. It is mounted by 4 bolts on the firewall and 3 bolts on the top of the cowl.

4. Remove the 3 mounting bolts that hold the wiper transmission assembly.

5. unplug the harness from the wiper transmission.

6. Remove the entire transmission assembly by tilting it back and lifting it out of the cowl. Please note that it sits inside a rubber grommet on the drivers side

7. Inspect the back of the transmission paying attention to the 4 plastic clips. If your wipers have a ton of slap or play while in motion, one or more of these will be broken or loose.

Note the movement when I place pressure on the arm.

The clip was in 6 pieces under the control arm. This is what broke during the snow storm!

Simply use a medium screw driver to snap the original clips off of the assembly. The new ones are already greased. I cleaned out the original seals and re used them.

Old VS New

6. Simply snap the new part into place. Make sure the arms are in the same direction and orientation as the original ones. They only go on one way.

7. Re install the transmission assembly in reverse order as above, and you should have sharp accurate wipers again!

2000 Acura RL

Last edited by sam o nela; 12-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Dr B Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
91RosewoodBrown
Legend Enthusiast

91RosewoodBrown will become famous soon enough

This is excellent! That old clip/joint looked awful!
91RosewoodBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
BayLegend
Legend by the Bay

BayLegend is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the DIY, mine began slapping against the the windshield pillar after i got new wipers and i thought i bought the wrong size. Is this a common problem? because I'm not sure if i want to risk getting a replacement one that works at the JY?

EDIT: and would also have to buy the whole pair since mine only affects the drivers side?

Last edited by BayLegend; 05-19-2011 at 07:24 AM.
BayLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
holyabish1

holyabish1 will become famous soon enoughholyabish1 will become famous soon enough

I wonder if you can just buy the clips instead of the whole assembly/bar?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Dr B Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyabish1 View Post
I wonder if you can just buy the clips instead of the whole assembly/bar?
The clips are not sold separetly! It looks as though they are on the diagram, however, those are the rubber seals that are not part of the arms.

2000 Acura RL
Old 05-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Dr B Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayLegend View Post
Thanks for the DIY, mine began slapping against the the windshield pillar after i got new wipers and i thought i bought the wrong size. Is this a common problem? because I'm not sure if i want to risk getting a replacement one that works at the JY?

EDIT: and would also have to buy the whole pair since mine only affects the drivers side?
I would buy both simply because the other ones are close to failing too since they are all the same age. Its not that much more and I think both arms work the entire assembly together. I had one bad clip and both wiper arms slapped all over.

I think it is more common than most think. This problem will make you go through more wipers than you can stand!

2000 Acura RL
Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
90LegendJim

90LegendJim is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you - 1990 Legend LS Sedan with same issue

Thank you for this DIY on slapping wiper issue.

I ordered the all the parts today from Acura Express Parts website. Totaled $71.17 plus $14.80 shipping (Rod B $23.04, Rod A $16.99, Front Cowl Clip $1.95 each, Cowl Top Clip $2.22 each).

Jim Lombardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr B Smith View Post
I just made this DIY simple repair on my runaway slapping and flopping wiper problems. It costs hundreds less than buying the complete wiper transmission assembly and even more if you avoid the dealer.
This will be virtually the same for the 2nd generation Legend too.

Here are the parts you will need. I also recommend buying all the new cowl clips since most may break when you remove them.

#013 76540-SP0-A01 ROD UNIT A $16.97
#014 76550-SP0-A01 ROD UNIT B $23.01

#026 91508-SM4-003 CLIP, COWL TOP Need 7 $2.12
#024 91501-SL4-003 CLIP, FR. COWL Need 8 $1.86

1. First you need to remove the two nuts holding the wiper arms on. Then lift off both wiper arms off of the transmission assembly

2. Remove with a small regular screw driver all of the clips holding on the plastic cowl. There are 8 small and 7 larger clips.

3. Next you must remove this center bracket. It is mounted by 4 bolts on the firewall and 3 bolts on the top of the cowl.

4. Remove the 3 mounting bolts that hold the wiper transmission assembly.

5. unplug the harness from the wiper transmission.

6. Remove the entire transmission assembly by tilting it back and lifting it out of the cowl. Please note that it sits inside a rubber grommet on the drivers side

7. Inspect the back of the transmission paying attention to the 4 plastic clips. If your wipers have a ton of slap or play while in motion, one or more of these will be broken or loose.

Note the movement when I place pressure on the arm.

The clip was in 6 pieces under the control arm. This is what broke during the snow storm!

Simply use a medium screw driver to snap the original clips off of the assembly. The new ones are already greased. I cleaned out the original seals and re used them.

Old VS New

6. Simply snap the new part into place. Make sure the arms are in the same direction and orientation as the original ones. They only go on one way.

7. Re install the transmission assembly in reverse order as above, and you should have sharp accurate wipers again!

90LegendJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Qs91Coupe

Qs91Coupe is on a distinguished road

Very nice. I wonder if this will help me. In some cases my wiper will float above the glass just a bit until it decides it wants to work properly.

Check out my 4 sale thread:Click here!!
Qs91Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote