AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Old 02-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Legend to Grave is on a distinguished road
Default It's new tires time for my coupe

Looking for some recommendations. I'll be getting new tires next month to fit on my GS wheels.

I have Michelin Pilot A/S put on February 2016 and have been happy with them for the main reason of the bead on the tire holding air and until this year the handling and driving was good. The bad is that after only 30,000 miles the tread is kind of shallow, resulting in some white knuckled experience in snow earlier this season, and, true to my main concern about Michelin, the tires are beginning to show some dry rot. And, they are expensive to boot!

Being in the Northeast, I would get all season tires and drive them year round.

I'm thinking to get 225/50-16 as mentioned in another thread or go with the OEM spec 215/55-16

What you all say?

Thanks in advance!

Didn't want to stay with Dave's thread so started this one.

'93 Legend Sedan - Original Owner
"Me" and "Mini Me"
Legend to Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

I still recall having had great experience with the Yokohama tires that fit on the stock 16 inch wheels. I wish they were available in the sizes I run on my larger aftermarket wheels. If you can find the Yokohama AVIDs they were an excellent performing and long lasting tire for a reasonable price. I not only used them on my Legend but even prior to then on my 1992 Maxima SE which back then was honestly the 4DSC they claim to be now.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the rough

I used to love the Yokohama Avids when I ran them on my legend. When I had to replace them a year or two ago, I discovered that they hadn't reformulated the tire in over ten years. They just can't compete with what's available now. What's more, they were useless in the snow.

I would recommend either the Pirelli Cinturato P7 or the Continental DWS 06. The Pirellis are comfortable and snow traction is exceptional for an all-season tire, but they lack admirable dry or wet traction. What's more, they don't sell the tire in a 225/50/16 to mitigate the traction issues you'd likely have with your 3.5.

The Continentals handle very well in the dry or wet and have an amazing amount of snow traction for a tire that is nearly as sticky as a 3-season tire. You'll never get stuck in the snow with them, but they won't inspire much confidence, either. Conversely, the ride is firm and there can be some flat-spot thump if your commute involves getting on the highway in the first 2-3 miles.

I'm presently running the Continentals on my Accord. I sometimes wish they were a bit softer on long trips, but I need sticky tires if I ever want to put my foot to the floor in first gear.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...SPXL&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WS06&tab=Sizes
Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Just back with new tires, got the Continental 225/50-16

Looking and feeling good!

Would post a photo but it’s raining out there and the GS wheels definitely need some attention.

"Me" and "Mini Me"
Old 04-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the rough

Very nice! They have a nice clean look, too.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Thanks guys for the feedback!

"Me" and "Mini Me"