AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long
Default Disabling ALB system.

This is to inform you on how to disable your ALB system. If you have come to the conclusion that your ALB system is not work the repair costs, or you wish to disable it for personal preference or for track use or what have you, follow these simple steps to disable your system.

If you need help with diagnosing a problem with your ALB system, please see this link. http://forums.acuralegend.org/anti-l...des-t5806.html

DISCLAIMER: AcuraLegend.org and myself will not be held responsible for any damages you incur on yourself or your vehicle in performing any of these actions. Any tips/advice herein are to guide you with your own work, and all operations are performed at your own risk.

There are only two steps in disabling your Anti-Lock braking system. Remove rear seat, unplug ALB computer.

To remove the rear seat in a sedan model, first you must remove the headrests to find the "secret" passageway to the upper two bolts. You will see a split in the leather just behind the headrests. There is one 10mm bolt inside each slot.

Now remove the lower portion of the seat. There is one 10mm bolt just to the drivers side of the arm rest, in between the upper and lower portion of the seat, once this bolt is removed, carefully pull up on the back side of the seat, and be careful of this bracket so you don't tear the seat with it. Pull the seat till it's straight up, and the front hooks should pop out.

Now that you have that out of the way, there are four bolts along the bottom of the upper portion of the seat. There is one to either side of the arm rest, and one at each corner. Once you have all of the bolts out, lift the seat up to release the hooks at the top, and remove the seat back.

These pics show the location of the bolts. I will update with actual removal pics later.

I believe coupes are the same procedure, without the two bolts behind the headrests, as they coupes have built in headrests.

Depending on your model car, you may have one or two boxes in there. The bigger one on top with all the writing on it and the two white plugs is your ALB computer, the smaller bottom one is for the security system. Remove the plugs from the upper computer.

Install seat in reverse order.

You now have no Anti Lock brakes. Good luck, and safe traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Because I'm Fut and you're not...
One...
Fut

Last edited by 18 characters long; 12-24-2009 at 06:35 PM.
18 characters long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

Nice DIY Dawson!

One other point to add:
Sometimes someone with working ABS may want to disable it for just one day/drive for whatever reason without the hassle of the seats out. To do this, turn on the car, pull up the parking brake very little, to the point when the "Brake" light turns on in the dash and drive slowly for about a block or 120 seconds, then the "Anti-lock" light will turn on indicating that the ABS is now off. What we are doing here is confusing the rear wheel sensors into thinking there is a problem with the system and it shuts off the system.

Warning: do not ever drive with the parking brake on; in this case the parking brake handle is held well before it gets to the first "click" so it is not doing any damage to the car in this case.
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long

Or for a single time, you could just remove one of the three ALB fuses under the hood. :dunno:

nice double post btw

Quote:
One...
Fut
Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 characters long View Post
Or for a single time, you could just remove one of the three ALB fuses under the hood. :dunno:

nice double post btw
lol it was stuck for about 5 min after I hit submit so something goofy might have happened on the server side.
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wksebati View Post
lol it was stuck for about 5 min after I hit submit so something goofy might have happened on the server side.
Yeah it took me three clicks of the post button, two refreshes, and one retry to get my post to work. lol

I guess the server sneezed.

Quote:
One...
Fut
Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
AcuraLegend55k1990
{Legend}{Supporter}

AcuraLegend55k1990 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone learned something new here