AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing

Old 06-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Mystikal Legend

Mystikal Legend is on a distinguished road
Default Need help! Seat covers VS regular seat maintanence and preemptive practices?

Hey Everyone,

So I have this nice legend that's in very good condition, with leather seats that are still like new and floor carpeting that is almost flawless.

I've heard of people, using Leatherique and other products to keep their leather soft and minty, but has anyone had any experiences with seat coverings over the leather for long term use? If I use seat covers, would it actually rub against the leather and wear it out faster? For better or for worse, any responses about your results would be great.

My car tends to sit in the sun quite a bit everyday , and I want to do whatever it takes to keep the plush leather from drying out and cracking... that's why I'm entertaining the thought of seat covers (whether I use them only while the car sits in the sun or keep them on permanently for seat protection).

Which is better, and why do you feel that way?
"I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick!"
Mystikal Legend
Mystikal Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the rough

My recommendation would be to get sun shades for the front and rear windows. I don't have experience with slip covers and I'm not very good about conditioning my leather. I say if your seats are nice, enjoy them.

I had my leather redone 9 years ago and the hide is very different. It's thicker and more durable but it out gasses A LOT. Leather conditioner only makes it worse. A thick film forms on the inside of the windows any time I leave the car out in the sun. Even a single day of sunshine will cause a problem. The sun shades front and rear completely eliminate this problem so I have to conclude the leather isn't taking a beating with the shades in. Getting the rear shade in will be a bit more of hassle with a coupe but fresh leather is fresh leather.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Mystikal Legend

Thanks for the reply, I've been thinking about sun shades as well... I know they have some at O'Reily Auto parts and Kragen, etc., but I was also snooping around online and found out that I can get custom made shades for my legend : D

I will definitely think hard on this... sun shades would eliminate the effects of the hot sun beating my ish in the long run. One of my fears though, is about people getting in the car with sharp objects in their back pockets and scratching my leather or puncturing it or something! Have you had any bad experiences with this? Cause this reason alone still tempts me to get seat covers. If all goes well, I hope to still have my Legend 6-10 years from now (only 116k on the odometer!), so I'm not sure if I should try to preserve the original seats with covers, or just enjoy them cautiously and replace them if necessary...

I remember looking at the price online of replacing all seats with quality factory ones and it's about $1600 USD lol
"I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick!"
Mystikal Legend
Old 06-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the rough

That's exactly what I paid 9 years ago. No passenger has ever left marks but I've got a tiny bit of bolster wear from getting in and out, there's a small divot in the passenger seat from a mechanic carelessly stacking trim pieces on the seat, and a small slice from another mechanic on the center arm rest. Only I would notice any of the flaws. Each mark upset me when found but it's 9 years old. Love is having a nice thing and watching the sands of time ruin it.

I always say enjoy it. You have a nice thing, you didn't come by it easily or for a negligible amount of money, you could be forced to part with it tomorrow, enjoy it. So long as your best friend isn't batman, your leather should be fine.

...because of the utility belt.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Mystikal Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
That's exactly what I paid 9 years ago. No passenger has ever left marks but I've got a tiny bit of bolster wear from getting in and out, there's a small divot in the passenger seat from a mechanic carelessly stacking trim pieces on the seat, and a small slice from another mechanic on the center arm rest. Only I would notice any of the flaws. Each mark upset me when found but it's 9 years old. Love is having a nice thing and watching the sands of time ruin it.

I always say enjoy it. You have a nice thing, you didn't come by it easily or for a negligible amount of money, you could be forced to part with it tomorrow, enjoy it. So long as your best friend isn't batman, your leather should be fine.

...because of the utility belt.
Ok thanks, that's a good amount of time, if mine wore down in say 5-8 years, I wouldn't mind replacing the seats if they will last another 6-9+ years. The statement about enjoying the leather is spot on too with me... I'm starting to remember that if I didn't want to deal with the natural wear of leather, I wouldn't have gotten leather! I would've gotten cloth bucket seats or something lol. I will definitely enjoy my leather sir, thanks again for the feedback!

"So long as your best friend isn't batman, your leather should be fine."

Hahaha that's the line of the day for me... those gadgets, bro!
Mystikal Legend