AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Gallery > Other Cars

Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
mike_engr

mike_engr is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 TL Auto Trans AV6 swap NEAR Raleigh?

It seems like our 2003 TL probably needs a new Automatic 5spd Transmission (yup, got rid of our Garnet Red 1995 Legend for it). The TL is a 13 year old car, but only at 120k miles, and my Dad bought it new, so its been "family" owned!

Tranny slippage (all forward (?) gears for us) seems to be a common issue even if it had the recall jet kit installed on it years ago! I checked the ohms on the 3 shift solenoids and checked/cleaned the solenoid screens today, but I don't think it fixed it. The screens were not too bad anyway. Did a drain & fill with the Acura ATF fluid. I'll see how it runs tomorrow...

I am reading that we should either go for a fully remanufactured Auto tranny w/ new TorqueConverter, or maybe a low miles AV6 from a 2005 or 2006 Honda accord.

Anyone know any person or garage with AcuraTL/AV6 swap experience in the Raleigh Area? Thanks in advance for any feed back or suggestions!
mike_engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #2
LowPSI

LowPSI will become famous soon enough

He's not on Raleigh, but Mike Diaz is a Legend guy and has a shop in Indian Trail Charlotte area). Mike's number is 704/989-0911. We've had a lot of work done our Legends at Mike's and have always gotten great service and very reasonable prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Definitely go with the AV6 swap from an 06 or 07 V6 accord. You should be able to find a used one with under 100k for around $1k or less. I did the swap on my 02 TLs earlier this year and it shifts so much better than the original crappy transmissions they came with. I don't know of anyone down that way but here in NJ there is an Acura tech that does the swap and is really thorough.
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
mike_engr

Default Awesome replies. Still looking for someone in Raleigh area!

Thanks for those replies.

Your replies help confirm that I should probably do the AV6 swap instead of rebuilding/replacing the existing TL Tranny with the same design!

Now I just need a professional or semi-professional who can do the swap (following web steps) in our Raleigh area! Help??? Anyone? Any leads on a honda/acura Swap guy in Raleigh/RTP/Cary area???

Status of car.... after cleaning the solenoid screens (about 5) and drain/fill transmission 2X it stopped slipping for two weeks! I even put all 4 new tires on the car in celebration (and to pass Jan inspection)!

Just yesterday it started doing something NEW. Now while driving along at various speeds the tranny (A5 B7WA) sudden downshifts and then releases! It's so abrupt it feels like the car has almost locked the front brakes! Anyone have any suggestions on what to check first? Which solenoids might control this??? Seems like we have the two linear solenoid plates I already cleaned (one has 1 solenoid, the other is Dual), but we also have some "shift" solenoids I have to find that Plug straight in like PVC valve - - Anyone know which ones might cause the tranny to suddenly "brake" forward progress and then release?

Any advice on what to check next would be appreciated!
Also any suggestions on AV6 swap guys in Raleigh!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

Hey Mike- your new symptom sounds very much like the 2nd gear issue that was a separate problem wth those transmissions. Acura had a recall where they would add an oil jet on top of the trans to provide direct fluid to the 2nd gear. It was mounted in place of the fill plug. Do you have that installed? Replacement transmissions were revised internally (I believe in 2005) to eliminate them having to install the oil jet kit. It sounds for sure your trans is starting to die slowly. Mine did similiar odd things- shuddered around 40mph when in D5 and 5th gear. I would leave it in D4 until on the Hwy above 60mph.
I would say if you haven't yet, go to Acurazine forum and the 2G TL section and you will find a lot of info on the AV6 swap. Maybe you will find something about a shop in your area. Otherwise you can call around to see who may be willing to do it. There is a post there where someone gave a very thorough DIY on the trans swap. Guys would print it out and bring it to the shop to follow.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
mike_engr

Default Need shop or skilled JDM swap type guy in Raleigh

Yes, the tranny had the Jet Recall kit done by "grandpa's" Acura dealer years ago...

The tranny was better for two weeks after 2X fluid drain/fill and some solenoid cleaning, but now it is WORSE. And last month's fluid looks dark & has metal sheen to it. Maybe the correct Solenoid & PressureSwitch replacements might have saved it last month? who knows....

Car is not really drivable now. Does crazy stuff going into 3rd, and driving in 3rd & 4th. Maybe can drive in 2nd gear max.....

I really think the 2006/2007 Tranny Swap is best for us.

Can't yet find anyone in Raleigh area who has done it or interested.

Any Leads ASAP from the community would be appreciated.
A shop? A JDM swap enthusiast? ? Anyone capable with the sincere interest?

I have found tranny's close enough to go pick up.

We must do something in days, not weeks!

It would be a service to the community if someone would become "known" as the guy who can swap these transmissions and "permanently fix" the TL tranny problem.

Car has 120k miles, and was literally driven by a GRANDPA for most of its life before being handed down to my daughter. I'd like to save it.

Any replies with Raleigh area "Swapper" leads would be appreciated!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
mike_engr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
He's not on Raleigh, but Mike Diaz is a Legend guy and has a shop in Indian Trail Charlotte area). Mike's number is 704/989-0911. We've had a lot of work done our Legends at Mike's and have always gotten great service and very reasonable prices.
Thanks, Mike D replied to an email I sent him.... He's a good guy but Charlotte was too far away. I contacted a few shops around here and found one 5 miles down the road that's willing to follow the PDF guide and do the swap... He confirmed he'd flush the lines that go to the Radiator and the ATF warmer parts we recycle from the TL Tranny.....

He sourced a Tranny that arrived today. I dropped off front & rear tranny mounts, an engine rear main seal, a spin-on ATF filter, and 8 qts tranny fluid yesterday. If anyone thinks of any parts/filters/gaskets or procedures I need to address before he starts let me know!

Although I wish I had pro-actively replaced the Linear Solenoids, maybe other solenoids, and maybe some pressure switches a few years ago (while Tranny was old but still behaving) I'm pretty-well convinced now that swapping a "next generation" Honda Auto Trans is the way to fix any 2000-2003 TL tranny once it becomes problematic!

I will post the status in a week or so. If he wants to do more of these Honda/TL swaps I'll post some contact info too! I'm hopeful we'll have a good outcome!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

Good luck with the swap. I wouldn't think much about the trans possibly holding up better if you had done this and that.. I changed the fluid in mine a bunch of times from when I got the car until the trans died which was over 50k miles. I also changed the shift solenoids. It still died and being a flawed design it is just a matter of time. The AV6 swap is way better and you will wish you had just swapped it sooner.

Last edited by MarcD; 12-14-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
mike_engr

Default Found Raleigh Area shop to do the AV6 Ody Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
Good luck with the swap. ..... flawed design it is just a matter of time. The AV6 swap is way better and you will wish you had just swapped it sooner.

Thanks! 100% agree! Everything I read says you are better off with a good used newer-gen tranny (06/07 Accord or 05/06 Ody) compared to fixing / rebuilding/ reman an older TL Tranny!

Our TL became "undriveable" last month even after I cleaned linear solenoid screens twice and did drain & fill a couple times!

It took me a couple weeks to digest the PDF and find a local mechanic to ramp up..... Glad to say I found a Raleigh / Cary / Apex / RTP / NCSU area local mechanic to do the TL AV6 / Odyssey transmission swap!

Just went with a Ody Transmission with 91k miles. (2003 TL with 120k miles - - grandpa's hand-me down).....

Just got it back on the road and it shifts better than ever!

There's "peace of mind" knowing that I now have a next-generation auto 5 spd transmission instead of a band-aid solution!

Y'all contact me if you need a AV6 / Ody Tranny hook-up near Raleigh! Hope to see ya on the beltway!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Hey, Mike. Who is this Honda/ Acura mechanic in the Raleigh area? I spend quite a bit of time up there visiting my niece and would like to know a mechanic if I need one when I am there.