AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Gallery > Legend / RL Galleries > Second Gen Legend Gallery -- 1991 - 1995

Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
jgoeke

jgoeke is on a distinguished road
Default Motor binds up won't turn when bolted to transmission

1998 Acura TL 3.2. Best i can tell this is basically a last year of the Acura Legend series with the longitudinal motor.

Issue was the motor would not turn over with breaker bar on crank. Once i pulled the motor/transmission combo out, i loosened the two and separated by about 1/4 inch, it turns over just fine. seems to bind up as the engine finishes mating up to the transmission. I completely separated the two and can see no issue or reason for this.

I'm told by previous owner, the motor was swapped in and they never got it to run. no kidding ;-)

Once theory is the motor (which is a replacement by previous owner) is not quite the correct one for the transmission/car.

Engine block is: C32A 2004240. Guessing transmission is original.

Any chance there is spacer or such available for these situations?

Any ideas are appreciated!
jgoeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

There's just too much it could be if this car was frankensteined.

Torque converter wrong/binding.
Differential Locked up
Transmission locked up

also the Legend series continued with a longitudinal motor until 2004 with the RL, which is called Legend to this day outside the NA distribution market I think.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
jgoeke

jgoeke is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Well, figured out the issue, or at least got it to mate up ok now. fiddled with the torque converter and reset it on the transmission and now it mates up ok and still spins :-).

Bad news is while tightening down the bolts the last one i did was the one by the front diff and long story short that transmission front diff spline must not have been perfectly mated for i ended up cracking the housing on the front diff as i was tightening it up...

Anyone have a lead on the front diff housing on a 98 TL 3.2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post
There's just too much it could be if this car was frankensteined.

Torque converter wrong/binding.
Differential Locked up
Transmission locked up

also the Legend series continued with a longitudinal motor until 2004 with the RL, which is called Legend to this day outside the NA distribution market I think.

rich
jgoeke is offline   Reply With Quote