AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Detailing

Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
WhyteLegend

WhyteLegend is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Bay Cleaning

Quote from the other forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtOutdoorsAZ View Post
REPOSTING: not my work! can someone sticky or move to DIY?

Engine Cleaning on 2nd Generation Acura Legends (1991-1995)

{Disclaimer: LLCC, Leon Millette are not to be held liable for any damages caused by improper execution of this task. For instructional purposes only.}

Before:

CLEANING

1. Be certain the engine is cool (not driven for at least 3-4 hours, except to maybe pull out of the garage).

2. Secure all electrical components in the under the hood (i.e. fuse box, wiring harnesses, charcoal canister, belts, alternator etc) Pictures below to demonstrate:

If you have any aftermarket filter systems, including the AEM bypass, it would be a good idea to protect that as well. I utilized several old towels, blankets and plastic bags. Another reason the engine should be cool…plastic will melt!

3. When you feel that you have properly secured all items that should not be touched by flammables (engine cleaner) or liquids (water), move on to step

4. Apply engine cleaner liberally. (I have selected CD2 Engine Dress Up, but Simple Green or any other type of “Gunk” remover will be adequate).

Be sure to hit the area with the coil packs gingerly…don’t go overboard, as you will be in there for a minute trying to get it cleared out. (The area beneath).

5. Allow the cleaner to do its magic for 10-15 minutes. If you get bored, get out a toothbrush and scrub those hard-soiled places.

6. Rinse the motor with a fine stream of water, working from the top down. Be sure to use the least amount of water possible to do your duty to our environment.

7. For those of you with auto-start, you will appreciate this part. Remove all plastic bags (careful not to spill it into any electrical components). Remove your towels, etc.
Now, let the motor idle for 15 minutes to assist in drying.

8. Once the motor has done its business, get some dry towels and get rid of any excess water on the block, and any other areas that standing water is located in (i.e. near the coil packs, fuse box, battery, etc.)

DETAILING
Now, the fun begins.

Your motor should be dry now. You need to cover up your drive belts, alternator, battery, and any other exposed electrical connections. What comes next is application of a silicone-based spray. Again, I used CD2:

9. Ok, assuming all towels are in place, you will want to spray a liberal amount of the CD2 Engine Detailer on the manifold, and all the plastic components. Be sure to protect your paint (exterior) as well as your windshield. Let this dry, and wipe any excess after ten minutes have passed.

Cover these drive belts and alternator unless you want a problem down the road

Don’t Be Scared…SPRAY IT! =)

Note the covered items.

Voila…the finished product!

Tutorial by Leon D. Millette.
Photos taken on 5/14/2002
Document Created 7/5/2002
legendarylegendz.com
Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Krizno
Small fry

Krizno is on a distinguished road

Good find. Great post!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
ledg4f4
O/GS Member

ledg4f4 is on a distinguished road

That's how it's done! That CD2 Engine Detailer is boss!
1994 GS JDM blk/ed out headlights, JDM door sills, Levoc blk/ed out/wood grain shift knob, PIAA white LED interior bulbs, custom white speedo needles w/blk-light LEDs, Remus specific exhaust, Koni Sport Kit, Goodridge G-stop SS brake lines, drilled/slotted rotors, KHrant "Legend" floor and trunk mats, Custom billet battery tray,Trenz billet grill, Optima red top battery, HKS oil cap & then some-
ledg4f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
B+O
♡ l4zy415 & Fut ♡

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

Ahhhh Leon's old posts... I need to do this O_O. My engine bay is embarrassing.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote