AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Marketplace > Group Buys
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
lgnd4u2nv

lgnd4u2nv is on a distinguished road
Default FEELER: KONI SHOCKS GROUP BUY - G2 LEGEND

For the few people that still visit the forum and aren't on facebook:

Yes, I’m serious. This is not a joke. I have leveraged my contacts within the auto racing industry to get in touch with the North American Sales Manager and New Products Manager at Koni. I have had multiple discussions with them over the last few weeks, and they have had multiple discussions with the manufacturing facility in Holland (Netherlands) to verify they still have the machines/tooling/and materials to make this happen. So here’s the deal:
WHAT:
Koni has agreed to manufacture a batch of the same Koni ‘Red’ shocks that they used to make for the Legend but discontinued in 2018. Part Numbers: 8240-1125 (fronts) and 8240-1126 (rears). You will need to use your OEM top hats and possibly your OEM lower spring seat. Koni is going to find out if they can supply new lower spring seats like they used to. These Koni shocks can be used with your OEM spring or Eibach/H&R lowering springs. They have 3 height settings and you can adjust the preload (stiffness) before install.
WHO:
I will be acting as Koni’s sole distributor of these. You will not be able to get these anywhere else. Koni will not be making any for Tire Rack, Andy’s Auto Sport, Shockwarehouse.com, or any other distributor or individual. Koni will be making a few extra fronts and rears to keep in their warehouse so that they can replace old ones with valid warranty claims, but they will not sell them directly to you.
HOW:
I will run this like a typical Group Buy: I will collect everyone’s payment and pay Koni a lump sum. They will then manufacture them in Holland and ship them to me on a pallet. I will then ship them to each of you individually. Once I pay Koni, it will take 5-6 MONTHS for you to get your products. (Yes, this is a long time, but the global supply chain and manufacturing/shipping industries are such a mess right now with no signs of improvement. Be glad Koni is willing to stop production of 5000 Civic shocks to make under 100 Legend shocks.)
PRICE:
I am still working with Koni to nail down the exact price, but for the purpose of this feeler thread, I estimate a total price of around $600-700 shipped. I am not doing this to make money, I just want to help out the community. The final price will essentially be: whatever Koni used to sell them for + 15% to cover higher material costs + shipping.
Lou gets a special price of $1500 per set because he thinks a used set is worth $1000 😉
WHEN:
This can happen as soon as I pre-sell 30 ‘car sets’. I will not be selling fronts only or rears only.....just full car sets of 2 fronts with 2 rears.
PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU WOULD BE A BUYER, AND HOW MANY SETS YOU WOULD WANT.
This will probably be the last time you’ll be able to buy new Koni shocks for the Legend, and due to the lack of other options, I suggest you buy these and put them on a shelf if you don’t need them right this second.
If there is enough interest, I will nail down the price and start an official Group Buy.

Teaser: If there is enough interest and everything goes smoothly with this GB, I plan to work with my friend at Hyperco Hypercoils to manufacture a set of lowering springs specifically designed to pair with these Koni shocks. Hyperco manufactures springs for pretty much the whole racing industry and they are a far better product than Eibach or H&R.

1995 Cayman White 6-Speed
1991 Sedan Sold in 2009
Old 06-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

http://forums.acuralegend.org/showthread.php?t=35963

Now that I see your SKILLS behind the scenes and the above referenced thread The Mad Scientist thoroughly feels MAD RESPECT for you sir! I'm now torn as I may not need another set of these for hopefully a LONG, LONG, LONG time but who knows how long I'll be keeping the coupe OR if I'll ever decide to make my sedan "sit up straight" instead of slouching down in its stance! I'm going to have to watch this thread VERY, VERY VERY CLOSELY!! Just say the word and I might be able to put the word out to the RIGHT sets of ears that do "The Book" all the time and let them know to "come on back home" for a visit and hopefully this thread will still be showing up on the main page for them to see. I think we can get you the support needed to make this happen ESPECIALLY hearing all the "commentary" we'll call it on Facebook . . . err excuse me "The Book" something like 2 to 2 1/2 months ago on this very product.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
Swift
is building things

Honest question here...

Wasn't there a difference between the REAL REDS and the spray painted red that were really yellows? Spring perches I believe...but they could find out if there was any valving changes.

I think this is a great buy just because of all the cheap ass shit out there now and the lack of good quality parts for these cars. This is not a joke. I worked in the car repair business and it is sad the level of quality on some parts now!

So even though I plan on doing a true coilover setup. I would be interested for sure just to have a set on hand for another legend.

C35 H.O. build #2
Old 06-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
lgnd4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LegendaryAcuraGS View Post
http://forums.acuralegend.org/showthread.php?t=35963

Now that I see your SKILLS behind the scenes and the above referenced thread The Mad Scientist thoroughly feels MAD RESPECT for you sir! I'm now torn as I may not need another set of these for hopefully a LONG, LONG, LONG time but who knows how long I'll be keeping the coupe OR if I'll ever decide to make my sedan "sit up straight" instead of slouching down in its stance! I'm going to have to watch this thread VERY, VERY VERY CLOSELY!! Just say the word and I might be able to put the word out to the RIGHT sets of ears that do "The Book" all the time and let them know to "come on back home" for a visit and hopefully this thread will still be showing up on the main page for them to see. I think we can get you the support needed to make this happen ESPECIALLY hearing all the "commentary" we'll call it on Facebook . . . err excuse me "The Book" something like 2 to 2 1/2 months ago on this very product.
Yeah Chaka, I had literally just had my first conversation with the guys at Koni when I saw that FS post. So that reply about begging them to make them again was a subtle tease/hint. I guess things worked out because if I had bought those, I prob wouldn't have followed up. Now I have an opportunity to help out not only myself but a lot of people in the community. There is a lot of interest on facebook...nearly 40 sets have been 'spoken for'. As long as 3/4 of those people pay up, we will meet the 30 minimum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Honest question here...

Wasn't there a difference between the REAL REDS and the spray painted red that were really yellows? Spring perches I believe...but they could find out if there was any valving changes.

I think this is a great buy just because of all the cheap ass shit out there now and the lack of good quality parts for these cars. This is not a joke. I worked in the car repair business and it is sad the level of quality on some parts now!

So even though I plan on doing a true coilover setup. I would be interested for sure just to have a set on hand for another legend.
I actually asked about the reds vs. yellows. I was told that they only ever made 1 shock design for the Legend, and they were the "Koni Reds". They later sold a spring/shock combo and in that combo were "Koni Yellows" but they were just the reds painted yellow.
Per Alex, the reds were sold back in the day with new lower spring seats for the rears, but you always had to reuse the lower seat for he fronts. Koni is looking to see if they can still source new lower spring seats. If they can't I may be able to make it happen through another contact.
Glad to hear that you would be interested in a set! Id definitely doesn't hurt to have these on a shelf just in case, and you could always resell them later if you decide you don't want them. You know there will be people that miss the GB and be asking for shocks in a year from now.

1991 Sedan Sold in 2009
Old 06-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnd4u2nv View Post
Yeah Chaka, I had literally just had my first conversation with the guys at Koni when I saw that FS post. So that reply about begging them to make them again was a subtle tease/hint. I guess things worked out because if I had bought those, I prob wouldn't have followed up. Now I have an opportunity to help out not only myself but a lot of people in the community. There is a lot of interest on facebook...nearly 40 sets have been 'spoken for'. As long as 3/4 of those people pay up, we will meet the 30 minimum!

I actually asked about the reds vs. yellows. I was told that they only ever made 1 shock design for the Legend, and they were the "Koni Reds". They later sold a spring/shock combo and in that combo were "Koni Yellows" but they were just the reds painted yellow.
Per Alex, the reds were sold back in the day with new lower spring seats for the rears, but you always had to reuse the lower seat for he fronts. Koni is looking to see if they can still source new lower spring seats. If they can't I may be able to make it happen through another contact.
Glad to hear that you would be interested in a set! Id definitely doesn't hurt to have these on a shelf just in case, and you could always resell them later if you decide you don't want them. You know there will be people that miss the GB and be asking for shocks in a year from now.

Nice to hear all of the interest in Facebook and hopefully those guys pull through with the $$$ as for those who miss out on the group buy . . . HEH they'll be asking/BEGGING for a set within ONE to THREE MONTHS afterwards! Mark my words!
Old 06-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Daddykay24

Daddykay24 is on a distinguished road

I'm in for a set.............
Old 06-16-2021, 05:35 AM   #7
lgnd4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddykay24 View Post
I'm in for a set.............
sounds good! I am working on final pricing with Koni and will be making an official group buy thread soon.

1991 Sedan Sold in 2009
Old 06-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
One6DSwifflY
Brooklyn Memba

One6DSwifflY is on a distinguished road

I am going to take at least 1 guaranteed. 2nd is pending price

"This 1 is for BROOKLYN! Land of da Crooks, home of my dame..." do ya research!!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One6DSwifflY View Post
I am going to take at least 1 guaranteed. 2nd is pending price
I see you making moves here "O"!
Old 06-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #10
gojumbo
Civic Destroyer

gojumbo is on a distinguished road

interested and maybe a 2nd set depending on price, thank you for your time and hard work!!!