AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation RL (Third Generation Legend) -- 1996 - 2004 > 1st Gen. RL General Discussion
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

CarbonGray3.5 is on a distinguished road
Default Horrible wobble and shaking from the front end...

Since I posted my original thread in the wrong section... Lets try this again

I was just curious if the front hubs on an 2nd Gen LEGEND will swap onto an RL...

Lately I have had A LOT of vibration coming from the front end of the RL. Keep in mind that the RL is nearly slammed and has been this way for a solid 9-10 months and no problems at all, then lately after I attempted to get an alignment, this progressively got "shakier" and last night while driving a few times it almost seems as if the wheels wanted to break the lugs off and tell me to go to hell.

When doing the alignment, they attempted to work on the rear alignment and the bolts were pretty much seized and 1 guy bent his heavy duty Craftsman breaker bar trying to break the rear passenger's side bolt.

On the front end, they tried to work on the Tow, but everything was seized up pretty much and they couldn't torch the bolts due to how close it was to plastic pieces and rubber boots and they were worried about catching the car on fire...

Would it help to replace all the parts from another RL, use parts off of a Legend? I'm going to PB Blast the shit out of it all and try to break the bolts loose first, but what are my other options?

2004 Carbon Grey Metallic Acura 3.5RL with Navigation... the last of the good RLs
CarbonGray3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

Also, I was driving home from work on the highway doing about 70 and there was a slight left turn when the car felt crazy, once I slowed down a bit, it let up a little and thjen drove fine for a few miles and then periodicly it would happen again.

Then I swapped wheels on last night and went for a slight test drive and between 35-45 the wobble was back again just while driving straight and i just turned around, went home, parked it and drove the truck to work.

Rather be safe than sorry.

2004 Carbon Grey Metallic Acura 3.5RL with Navigation... the last of the good RLs
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

That all sounds alignment related to me, brother, maybe the guys tweaked some stuff trying to get those frozen bolts off. Man you must live up north to have those bolts seize up on you like that. I would not swap legend parts with the RL, especially not suspension components. I doubt any of them are swappable.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

I live in St. Louis, MO and the car used to make constant trips to the lower states all the time from the previous owner's business trips.

Legend parts and RL parts are close for the most part. MANY people use 2nd Gen Legend coilovers and such on their RLs... I currently have Gen 2 Legend K Sports on my RL.

But like I said, this has just recently started... hmm... But the car is a '96 with 247,xxx on the chassis and engine.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

Parts dealing with camber and toe are tough tho, they may look the same but are pitched at different angles.

The 96-98 Tls might be a better match for parts, I know the hubs are the same for each.

but really withought being there it is hard to diagnose.

have your wheels been balanced recently? maybe one of the weights fell off or something. could be a number of things really.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

I have 4 sets of wheels that i swap on and off from time to time...

I've checked for the weights on all the sets and they are all on the wheels... and the chance of all 4 sets having the same problem, VERY slim to none.

I'll just got home this weekend and PB black the hell out of all the bolts and I have an appointment to have the car to get an alignment on Sunday... we'll see where this takes us

Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

Figured out it was the front axle on the driver's side... wobble is gone.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
B+O
♡ l4zy415 & Fut ♡

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Blackhatch View Post
Figured out it was the front axle on the driver's side... wobble is gone.
w00t!

I'm probably in need of an axle soon... I'll change it in the up coming miles... i think in another 10K I'll change'em
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
CarbonGray3.5
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5

gotta love Autozone. Life time warranty!