AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation RL (Third Generation Legend) -- 1996 - 2004 > 1st Gen. RL General Discussion
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
91ls 3.5
I'm coming!!

91ls 3.5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondiVTEC View Post
ill put my plain jane 3.5 TI auto against any KA9
Put 'er up against The Lady Bug
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
brothermatt

brothermatt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for chiming in, folks. I'm waiting to hear from State Farm as to whether my coupe will be totalled. If I get that call, I'll most likely go for a KA9.

The Gen2 TL Type-S looks good and is pretty quick but I have no time or money for any out-of-warranty (~$4,000) transmission replacements. The RL is my next choice but I have a feeling that after test driving one, I'm going to be disappointed with the way it pulls. I don't need a hotrod but I have a feeling that pick up in the RL is probably comparable to my old 185 HP/195 TQ Camry.
If that's the case, I can deal with it but I was hoping there was some workaround.
brothermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Now don't get me wrong the RL has good low end torque and was one of Acura's selling points when they introduced the model. It should be sufficient for you as long as 1) you don't need a hotrod and 2) you keep it in a straight line. If I didn't have a 2nd gear issue I'd put my GS with its 275K+ 3.2 against a RL RIGHT NOW. I'd say it may take me out of the hole initially but by the time I hit fire cracker rpms (4000 and above) I'll walk it down and show it my tail lights the rest of the trip. Don't even let there be curves as that luxury boat body rolls pretty hard with all that extra weight. Once my little project is done ALL KA9s better keep quiet or I'll spank them good and make them go cry over in the corner! Jen we don't even need to put you against an RL to end this "discussion" as a KA9 has NO CHANCE against a 3.5 KA7 Legend!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

A 6mt 3.5 KA7 that didnt even put down 200 whp on a dyno with heavy ass wheels against a KA9? I'll put my money on the KA9.

You guys failed to consider the gearing of the RL and have also under estimated the updates to the ecu. Remember the RL is obd2, so it's power is much more efficient when compared to a G2. Even considering the hp to weight ratio, it's still a horse a piece. I'd say a type I legend has zero chance of beating an RL, a type II would be about even, and a properly running and tuned straight 3.5 swap or hybrid 3.5 should easily take an RL.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
(=^.^=)
Legend Hater

LOL

Anyways, like I said, it would be nice if SR5GUY would give his opinion on this because HE knows what it would take to make it possible as we had discussed last year.
3.5 swap, so easy a girl can do it.
Talk is cheap, because the supply is much larger than the demand.
(=^.^=) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

It's been discussed before, within the last year. You NEED to retain the OBD2 sensors so a 3.5 hybrid that was in a KA7/8 will not work, also cams = ecu, so type II cams are out of the question. What would be the point of a piggybacked ecu to gain maybe 5 extra hp and 5 ft lbs of torque? IMO the OP would be better off selling his hybrid 3.5 and rolling the stock 3.5 that comes with his soon to be KA9. The effort and money doesn't justify the results. No need to go through the time and effort to pull 2 motors and swap 1. If someone has the money to waste, then by all means go for it.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
MondiVTEC
light that shit!

MondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
A 6mt 3.5 KA7 that didnt even put down 200 whp on a dyno with heavy ass wheels against a KA9? I'll put my money on the KA9.

You guys failed to consider the gearing of the RL and have also under estimated the updates to the ecu. Remember the RL is obd2, so it's power is much more efficient when compared to a G2. Even considering the hp to weight ratio, it's still a horse a piece. I'd say a type I legend has zero chance of beating an RL, a type II would be about even, and a properly running and tuned straight 3.5 swap or hybrid 3.5 should easily take an RL.
LOL you must be running low on sleep when you said this ^

Ive driven an RL and its a boat not a beast. The tranny is soft and the rpms are low. My GS used to scream up to 7200 and would have eaten any KA9 for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. A type I with an intake and sr5guy chip would dominate as well. Stock vs stock would be close but my money is on the lighter chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
It's been discussed before, within the last year. You NEED to retain the OBD2 sensors so a 3.5 hybrid that was in a KA7/8 will not work, also cams = ecu, so type II cams are out of the question. What would be the point of a piggybacked ecu to gain maybe 5 extra hp and 5 ft lbs of torque? IMO the OP would be better off selling his hybrid 3.5 and rolling the stock 3.5 that comes with his soon to be KA9. The effort and money doesn't justify the results. No need to go through the time and effort to pull 2 motors and swap 1. If someone has the money to waste, then by all means go for it.
thats what i think too
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

You might be right Mondi, because the T1 does make a decent amount of low end torque, actually it makes more torque than a T2. I'd kinda like to get a KA9 on the strip with a variety of Legends, just to see where they stack up. Anyone have some literature with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for a stock RL, T1 and T2 Legend?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
(=^.^=)
Legend Hater

Acura Legend 0-60
3.5 swap, so easy a girl can do it.
Talk is cheap, because the supply is much larger than the demand.
(=^.^=) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Acura-0-60-mph-Times.html

Not sure how official that is, but they seem to be fairly even by what that site is saying.