AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > The Projects > Legend Builds
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #1
Branden

Branden is on a distinguished road
Default My 1995 Black Coupe L

Hey guys, figured I'd share the progress and plans for my coupe. Always appreciate the help and advice from forum members!

I've always owned and molded hondas and acuras, a few integras, a couple rsx-s, 3.2 cl type-s, 07 TL-S... Never owned a Legend and always thought they were beautiful well build cars that represent a generation of cars that I absolutely love. Started looking for a project legend, did not want to spend more than $900 or so. I picked up a 1991 sedan LS, and the 1995 coupe L. I ended up selling the sedan and keeping the coupe, which is funny cause I never was even looking for a coupe, I wanted a sedan... But the moment I got my hands on the coupe I was in love.

Took a Greyhound like 200 miles to pick this thing up for $500. 135k miles, no smoking, no overheating, decent tires, all windows and electrical stuff works. Only problem was a fender bender in the front, I'd definitely be needing a new hood. The car was also filthy dirty. I couldn't believe how disgusting the previous owner had it. Roaches and all....

^^ Here's the first pic I saw of her

^^ After driving it 200 miles home. My kids were not very impressed with it...

^^ How I was sold the car... Complete with empty soda bottles, blunt wrappers, chewing tobacco containers, etc

^^ Tough to look at

^^ Type 2

^^ A pic of the front end damage. Driver side headlights broken as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
Branden

First I bombed the car with two foggers for roaches and ants. Quickly started tearing into the interior, pulled out the seats and began cleaning. So much garbage and dirt everywhere. Soaked the seat belts, shampood carpet, cleaned headliner etc. Also buffed tail lights, clay bar'd the paint, and cleaned up the engine bay a bit.

I really couldn't believe how filthy the car was, but for $500 I wasn't complaining... The thing started up and drove very well.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Branden

I have a work truck so I only was driving the legend here and there. But after a few weeks here's the list of problems I came up with:

- Power antenna doesn't work.
- Bose head unit acting up, strange sounds
- Missing rear speakers
- CEL #12 for EGR
- ABS light on
- Big slice in intake hose, been sucking in dirty air
- Torn CV/tie rod boots
- The car wasn't originally black! After cleaning the engine bay I noticed it was dark green (Sherwood green pearl)
- Hood struts aren't holding it up any more
- Power steering fluid leaking

As well as needing some basic maintenance:
- Timing belt/ water pump
- Spark plugs
- Oil change
- Transmission fluid change
- Brake pads and rotors

Old 05-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Branden

I couldn't take looking at that interior any more... Started buying the interior pieces I needed courtesy of Action Jackson and eBay. I wasn't sure what to do about the front seats... I would've bought some in better shape but I couldn't find any nearby for a decent price. I quickly realized that buying parts for this car would not be as easy as it was for my integras and rsx's.

I decided to go with seat covers from www.coverking.com
They took a few weeks but I was impressed when they arrived. The color was pretty damn close. Taupe was the color I chose for my Type F interior.

^^ Here's how it looked after getting them in.

Also went ahead and bought Burlwood trim and replaced the L trim. Picked up a Pioneer head unit and got that in as well.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden View Post
I couldn't take looking at that interior any more... Started buying the interior pieces I needed courtesy of Action Jackson and eBay. I wasn't sure what to do about the front seats... I would've bought some in better shape but I couldn't find any nearby for a decent price. I quickly realized that buying parts for this car would not be as easy as it was for my integras and rsx's.
For those of us who have been in "the Legend game" for a long time we recognize this as code for "this isn't going to be easy or CHEAP"! Welcome to "Legend Life!!"
Old 05-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
Branden

So the engine is in pretty good shape with no overheating and I only get light smoke when I let it idle for a long time or on cold start. I was driving it 70 miles a day for a few weeks and it drove just fine, felt strong and no hiccups.

Put a new ac compressor, dryer belt and pulley. AC is freezing cold... But I have to replace my climate controls because I'm not getting a proper ground from it. I have it hard wired for now, so the AC is constantly on even if I turn the blower off.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
Branden

Default My 1995 Black Coupe L

^^ Picked this up a few weeks ago, I absolutely love it. The Legend is in the garage now and I've decided to go ahead and start doing ALL the maintenance this thing needs, including the head gaskets. I know it's going to be a tough task but I'm confident I can get it done.

I'm shopping now for a complete set of gaskets/seals. Seems like everyone recommends fel pro. Also curious... Do they sell a bushing set for the suspension components?

^^ How she sits now. Slowly removing parts and following iceman's diy and all the other information I've gathered. Been labeling screws and parts very meticulously and taking plenty of pictures.

When I got the spark plugs out I noticed oil on them

Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower

if you need parts or want a black interior hit me up... i would have just stripped the car and started fresh if that was me haha i just did this with my coupe

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Branden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
if you need parts or want a black interior hit me up... i would have just stripped the car and started fresh if that was me haha i just did this with my coupe
Well I don't really have the funds to spend a ton on this car. I'm very happy with the progress I've made in the interior though. Nah not looking to do black interior, but I'm dying to find a coupe hood
Old 05-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Tyson
Road Trip King

Tyson will become famous soon enoughTyson will become famous soon enough

Great progress so far!

Thanks Alex for the sig!
http://drivetofive.wordpress.com
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote