AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
QBoroLegend
Son of the Most High

QBoroLegend is on a distinguished road
Default Diesel Anyone? The Next Big Thing

I saw this report about american not really feeling diesel, even though it is more fuel efficient and the engines are more reliable. They get turned off by the idea and the price. The idea being it is mainly truck fuel and most stations in NYC sell it for $5 to $6 a gallon.

Is it the next biggest thing trying to catch on? Will it catch on? Is it really that good? I mean I've heard before that those Diesel Benz's, the 300SEL's and such, from back in the day CANNOT be broken - 200,000Miles is nothing to them. I am seeing more and more commercials for diesel cars here. It is really catching on.

Oh and what does TDI stand for?
QBoroLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
whats77inaname
Not forgotten.

whats77inaname has a spectacular aura aboutwhats77inaname has a spectacular aura about

Honestly, gasoline engines can be made so that they're not broken, either, but if car makers did that, there would never be need for new cars. And they'd lose a ton of money. It'd be like this, but for car manufacturers, instead.

TDI = turbo diesel injection.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 06-23-2009 at 07:08 AM.
whats77inaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
bandoni
Hooray! I am useful!

bandoni has a spectacular aura aboutbandoni has a spectacular aura aboutbandoni has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bandoni

TDI stands for Turbocharged Direct Injection, diesel cars are all the rage in europe. They haven't caught on in america till quite recently. I myself love diesel vehicles especially that new jetta, that gets better fuel mileage then a prius plus it has get up and go!

Turbo Miata Build
bandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
WhyteLegend

WhyteLegend is on a distinguished road

2009 BMW 335d have my eyes this ... still lookiing

Specs: 3.0-liter, 265-horsepower, dual overhead cam (DOHC), inline 24-valve 6-cylinder Advanced Diesel engine with aluminum engine block, twin-turbo technology and third-generation piezo common rail direct injection.Compression 16:5:1
RWD is plus no manual transmission is the a minus
torque 425 lb-ft. @ 1750 rpm imagine what a tune can do with those twin turbo's & the diesel ..
one word BYE!

Last edited by WhyteLegend; 06-23-2009 at 07:22 AM.
WhyteLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
QBoroLegend
Son of the Most High

QBoroLegend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyteLegend View Post
2009 BMW 335d have my eyes this ... still lookiing

Specs: 3.0-liter, 265-horsepower, dual overhead cam (DOHC), inline 24-valve 6-cylinder Advanced Diesel engine with aluminum engine block, twin-turbo technology and third-generation piezo common rail direct injection.Compression 16:5:1
RWD is plus no manual transmission is the a minus
torque 425 lb-ft. @ 1750 rpm imagine what a tune can do with those twin turbo's & the diesel ..
one word BYE!
Geesh, you did your homework. I hope you get one too, just because of the amount of thought you put into it.

Yeah, it's the volkswagen commercials I keep seeing to. Funny, someone told me that Diesel get better mileage than hybrids too, but for some reason, american havent caught on. Maybe the new GM or Chrysler will add some to their revamped inventory.

Do the diesels HAVE to be turbo or something? Every time I hear about one it is.
QBoroLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
MondiVTEC
light that shit!

MondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura about

i would take an old diesel benz with 200k no doubt...fuel that shit with used cooking oil
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
UNCLEgend
Stay Thirsty!!

UNCLEgend is on a distinguished road

I heard a report a few months back related to the issue of the viability of diesel in the US market for passenger cars. One of the differences between Europe and the US is in the process of refining crude oil. Apparently the relative fractions of jet fuel, diesel, and gasoline with the standard US process yields much more gasoline and much less diesel per barrel of crude than the European process. The report suggested that a massively $$$$ change in refining capacity and style would be required before diesel vehicles in the US market would be at the same acceptance/convenience/efficiency/cost values as in Europe.

<Work><Akebono><Powerslot><Koni><Remus><MLS Copy><Addco><Fut Tie Bars><JDM-HID-PIAA><Red-Black Calipers><Alpine>
UNCLEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Stu
hello ladies !

Stu will become famous soon enough

I guy I know drives a diesel Jetta and gets 750 miles to a tank in the city !
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
bandoni
Hooray! I am useful!

bandoni has a spectacular aura aboutbandoni has a spectacular aura aboutbandoni has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bandoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I guy I know drives a diesel Jetta and gets 750 miles to a tank in the city !

Turbo Miata Build
bandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
EvilRed92Legend
Cassis Red Pearl

EvilRed92Legend is on a distinguished road

I think most of the reason Americans are disinterested in diesel is because it is loud and smelly. What they don't realize is that is exactly why they're perfect for Americans . . .
Originally Posted by Geneva_Jee
slow dimming light = luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner_Towel
use fingertips to shift, like you're playing with a boobie!
EvilRed92Legend is offline   Reply With Quote