AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion
Register iTrader FAQ Community Garage Wiki Chat Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default The First Gen Legend Buyer's Guide

This thread will be dedicated to buying tips for anyone looking into buying a First Gen Legend. Remember that the Coupes and Sedans are almost mechanically identical, but there are some slight differences. Unless the asking price is already rock bottom (like less than $1000) here are the big items to look for and be aware of when inspecting a potential G1 to add to your garage:

~Have the Timing Belt AND Water Pump been changed?? If not, then take off some cash from the sale price because you will need to pay to have that done asap and it costs about $500-$750 (dont let them know you will be doing the work yourself )

~Any leaks from the valve and side valve covers? Oil Pan gasket? Oil cooler? Oil ANYWHERE? Take off some cash bc you will have to pay to have that fixed ()

~When was the last time the transmission was serviced (if auto)?? This is VERY important...if not recent, or ever, take off even MORE cash OR walk away...if manual, when was the last clutch job, oil change, and clutch fluid flush?

~How are the suspension components? Any creaking from the ball joints or control arms? Any clicking CV joints (easy to test this on the test drive)?

~A/C and heater work properly? Does A/C Condensor fan come on??

~Do both fans come on at appropriate times?

~Any check engine light?? Click the ignition to the II position without starting the car to be SURE that ALL of the lights come on...I have heard of unscrupulous sellers taking out the CEL bulb and the buyer not realizing until months later

~Any ABS noise? By this time, there are most likely more cars with non-working ABS than working ones......use this to your advantage and take some cash off for that....

~When was the cooling system last flushed and serviced??

~Has the car EVER had a Check Engine Light?? If so, what was the problem and was it solved???

~BE SURE that you get to see the car started for the FIRST TIME in the morning!! This will reveal any funny noises, fuel injector leaks, and valve tick that disappear once shes been warmed up.

Remember to ask WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME XXX WAS DONE?? (Replace XXX with any of the common maintenance stuff that I mentioned above). If they state that they were done, ask to see receipts and records...if proof CANNOT BE PROVIDED, then you need to go on the assumption that they were NOT done....and that should be reflected in the final sales price....

Common parts for the G1 Legend are pretty readily available (brake pads, filters, suspension components, alts etc.), its when you get certain stuff that commonly fail like the TDC Sensor, Crank Angle Sensor, Igniter unit, etc. that you have a hard time finding them for a reasonable price...

Remember that common points for water leaks are the sunroof drain holes (easily cleaned), the trunk seal, the top of the front windshield, and the tail lights.

As with most Hondas of this era, rust is very common on the undercarriage, rear wheel wells, gas tank, and the metal body panel the runs below the tail lights.

Thats off the top of my head....anyone have anything else to add??

If the car has trouble starting (long cranking with no fire) see the G1 FAQ sticky for help with replacing or repairing the Main Relay.
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Nice write up.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long

Great Gabe! I'm glad you put this out there. I will have to take time to read through, and see if I have anything to add, so basically reserving one of the first few spaces, but from what I see, this seems to be a good thorough list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Because I'm Fut and you're not...
One...
Fut
18 characters long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
LegendLand
10 Years, 6 Legends

LegendLand will become famous soon enoughLegendLand will become famous soon enough

Wow. That's great. I now feel equipped to go out and buy a G1
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
LtownLegend
Legend looking.

LtownLegend is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gabe, this'll come in handy!
Ahh, Friday/Saturday/Summer nights in Levittown. Riding a bicycle brings the anger of every ricer revving his fart-can Civic to redline. Then the salvation of a minty red G1 Acura Legend Coupe going down the road at WOT.
LtownLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
drok149
3.5 hybrid

drok149 is on a distinguished road

i miss my 90 ls coupe i loved how that car handled and the steering wheel turns so easy
drok149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
korrupt1

korrupt1 is on a distinguished road

I have a question regarding g1....found a coupe and while certainly pretty looking enough...it has some issues that the owner disclosed freely...mainly posted that it is blowing through vacuum hoses constantly....and that is claimed reason on it currently NOT running...also some smaller things like windows not working and such, yes the AC is out, I kinda figured on that one.
The NOT running issue is obviously my BIGGEST concern here. Owner has replaced some of the vacuum hoses, upper and lower rad hoses, rad and some other things.......but this going through vac hoses is a concern of mine...is that pretty common? I didnt remember it being so....but then I was a g2 owner and followed Tysons example and replaced ALL my hoses to insure.

I am wondering if I should even go look at this one or not :dunno:
korrupt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Depends on the asking price...if he's disclosing all of these problems but the exterior and interior are in great shape, I can't realistically see this car going for anymore than $750 as is...

What exactly do you mean by blowing through vacuum hoses? That it has a vacuum leak somewhere?
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
korrupt1

korrupt1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Depends on the asking price...if he's disclosing all of these problems but the exterior and interior are in great shape, I can't realistically see this car going for anymore than $750 as is...

What exactly do you mean by blowing through vacuum hoses? That it has a vacuum leak somewhere?
is a she...I usually try buying cars from women...generally they arent as hammered on...usually.

But yes, the ad says vacuum hose leaking and she thinks thats what causing it to not run.....and ad says its the 4th hose its blown. She has replaced some, rad and some other things....but currently not running car.

I am getting a sedan that is running just fine though for $800...just gotta charge up the ac which she has (again, woman owned..imagine that) has had converted to r134a....and I have 12 cans of that stuff so should be good...tune up time coming!!!

and I been THINKING I might go get the coupe regardless for like $4-500 maybe as my side toy
korrupt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

How hard would it be to set up some sort of online spreadsheet where we could input the mileage or age at which various components failed? That might yield some useful information on the average lifespan of said components.

Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote